Thursday 29 September 2016

Introduction to Media: Media comsumption audit

Newspapers

  • Which daily newspapers (if any) do you read?
Metro News is a daily newspaper I often find myself reading, probably because it's free.
  • What sections of newspapers do you turn to first, and why?
I don't turn to a specific section looking for specific things. Anything that catches my eye is normally what I would turn to.
  • What sections do you never read, and why?
The sports section, I always find myself skipping it unless if my favourite football team are mentioned.
  • What kinds of stories do you usually read and why?
Anything to do with stories about people that are not boring.  I find stories of other people's lives fascinating as they have no similarity with mine and that interests me. 
  • Do you, or someone else, buy the newspaper you read?
I've never bought a newspaper, always find it on public transport and have a quick read.
  • Do you look at the online versions of any newspapers? Which newspapers? Why do you visit their website and not others?
I have the news app on my phone which allows me to view varies articles from different online newspapers but I prefer to read The Guardian because it covers a range topics which are interesting to read.

Magazines
  • What magazines (if any) do you buy regularly?  Why?   

 I have never bought a magazine in my existence and I don't think I will be anytime soon.
  • What sections of the magazines do you read and not read, and why?

 At the waiting rooms of dentists and the hospital, I usually read the ''10 things to do when...'' or ''10 things not to do when...'' because it just makes me giggle at how untrue most of the content is. 


Television
    • Approximately how many hours a week do you spend watching television?
    During the summer holidays I probably spent 20+ hours a week watching televisions however since school has began it's 5 hours a week. 
    • What times of day do you usually watch television?
    I would normally watch television in the evening after revision and before I go to bed. 
    • What programmes do you like best and why? 
    I prefer thrillers, actions and dramas because it isn't anything like my plain ordinary life e.g Criminal Minds, The Flash or PLL. 
    • Do you watch alone or with others? If you watch with others, who decides what you will watch?
    I prefer to watch alone because it irritates me when people speak during a show and I can't always help saying  '' Leave now or I'll kick you out.'' 
    • Do you watch  'live' TV or on-demand/catch-up? Do you use any other devices to watch TV (such as laptop of tablet?) 
    I watched TV shows on my laptop and my phone with the app Netflix. This is so I can watch TV peacefully without family interruptions. 

      Radio
      • Do you listen to the radio?
      I do listen to the radio however it isn't as much as I used to when I was a kid. 
      • If yes, what stations do you like best and why?
      I prefer music stations such as Capital FM or Radio 1 because there are times when music on my phone becomes a little repetitive and the radio is far more relaxing.

      • Approximately how many hours a week do you spend listening to the radio?
      I don't spend any hours a week listening to the radio anymore, back when I did it was about 10 hours appx. 
      • What times of the day do you usually listen to the radio? 
      I would listen to the radio in the morning and afternoon in year seven and eight. (Using my phone and earphones). 
      • Where do you listen to the radio?
      I would listen to the radio on the bus most of the time but now when I do turn on the radio it's when I'm at home. 
      • What other activities (if any) do you do whilst listening to the radio?
      I would listen to the radio on the way to school and back however now it's when I'm doing my artwork at home or the library. 

    Cinema
    • What films have you seen in the cinema in the last month?
    I have seen more movies this last month at the cinema than I have my whole life. Suicide Squad, Nine Lives. War Dogs, Finding Dory, The Secret Life of Pets, Jason Bourne, The Legend of Tarzan, Don't Breathe, The Purge: Election Year, Lights Out, Now You See Me 2 and Nerve. I SPENT £130 ON MOVIES THIS AUGUST.
    • What films have you seen in other places – for example, through rental, satellite film channels (free or otherwise) or through video-on-demand? 
    I watched Prisoners directed by Denis Villeneuve (2013) on Film 4 
    • Who else watched the films with you?
    I watched most of the movies at the cinema independently however a couple with my friends and I watched Prisoners with my family. 
    • Who decided what films to watch?
    The movies I went to watch with friends were picked by all of us seeing as we were all interesting in watching them together however those I watched as an individual were picked decided by my own influence. 
    Prisoners was decided by my brother who influenced the whole family it was a good film to watch. 
    • What devices do you typically use to watch films: TV, laptop, tablet, phone etc.?
    It's either my laptop, phone or the TV. 


    Online

    • How often do you access the internet?
    I access the internet almost everyday or every other day. 
    • Where do you access the internet?  At home, at college or school, or at work? 
    I access the internet at home or at school but majority of the time being at home. 
    • What are the main sites that you access?
    I always access hotmail or gmail to check my emails daily. And obviously YouTube. 
    • What are the main reasons for accessing these sites – for example, for information, to make purchases, communicate with friends or for entertainment?
    Hotmail to keep up to date with my emails and YouTube sometimes for education but mostly entertainment. 
    • What other activities (if any) do you do whilst accessing the internet? 
    I like to visit Wattpad (reading website) to read books and sometimes to write my own books. 
    • What different devices do you use to access the internet? What is your primary device for accessing the internet?
    I use my laptop and my phone as a way of using the internet, my primary device is my laptop. 
    • What social networks do you use regularly (e.g. Twitter, Instagram)? Why do you belong to these networks in particular?
    I use Instagram, Snapchat and Facebook (rarely). I belong to these social networks because it's expected? A way to keep up with everyone I guess? There's no real explanation as to why I have these accounts. 


    Reflection
    • How can you develop the amount and variety of media you consume?
    I can develop the amount I consume by using the radio more and giving magazines a chance. 
    • What will you change in your media consumption habits this year as a result of studying A Level Media?
    I will use the media more because A level Media is heavily based on the media (duh) and obviously viewing more content that I normally wouldn't that will help with my course. 
    • List three sources of media (websites/newspapers/apps/TV programmes etc.) that you will start to access this year that you haven't engaged with previously.
    I will read a variety of newspapers e.g The Sun. Listen to the radio as much as I use to as I kid. Watch new genres of TV programmes on Netflix. Maybe even download new apps on my phone. 

      No comments:

      Post a Comment